What is the purpose of blogging?
So you have been told that blogging for your business is an excellent way to help increase your exposure and generate more leads and sales. But how do you get started?
Before you do anything else ask yourself these questions:
- What do you want to cover/take up/get across to your clients or prospective customers on your blog?
- What do you want to achieve by blogging?
- Who is your target audience?
- Who is your target audience, existing clients, prospective clients?
Is the purpose of business blogging:
- To make your business more broadly known?
- Create desire for your products?
- A communication tool between yourself and your clients?
- Making your company and its brand/s known?
- Is it to upsell existing clients?
The above is important and should be written down. You want to stay on topic and keep focused on the message you wish to convey. It is very easy to go off topic so bear in mind what it is you want to communicate to your audience and what result/s you want to achieve from the communication.
Blogging Content Planning and Layout
At this point, you will very likely start making notes and jotting down ideas.
- How will you introduce your subject or topic?
- What exactly do you want to get across to your audience and what do you want to say?
- How will you bring the above to a neat close?
Do you want to add any pictures, graphics, charts, etc. Where will you place them? Also, ensure that there is a Call to Action so that your audience has a way to respond, comment, subscribe. There should also be a way for them to contact you.
More on this will be taken up in a later article.
Setting Goals for Your Blog
You will have already decided at this point what you want your blog to achieve; now you need to be able to measure its progress. You can measure your progress in many ways. Depending on what your blogs are about you can monitor if it has had the desired effect by tracking certain statistics. Here are some examples.
- Are you getting more subscribers?
- Are you getting an increase in calls to the company?
- Are your enquiries increasing?
- Have you received comments or communications about your blog articles?
- Have sales increased?
- Are more people finding your website on search engines and social media networks?
So now you have a better picture of what you want and what you wish to achieve from business blogging.
The next blogging subject we will look at is Research so be sure to read our next article.
Image Credit: Copyright: puenny / 123RF Stock Photo